See also: Categories: Instructors, Adjudicators, Dancers, Organizers
Current location: Houston, Texas
- Competition Organizer
OverviewRosendo Fumero began dancing during the disco days, when Saturday Night Fever was the rage. He learned how to Disco and then from there, wanted to learn more. He made his way into the Ballroom field and become addicted to it.
He began taking lessons at the Lansing Community College in Michigan. At that time, a Fred Astaire Studio in the area was also looking for teachers. Rosendo figured, the studio has training for free and he'd learn for free. That was when he got hooked on Ballroom and met his partner, Terry Worral.
Rosendo and Terry danced together from 1984 to 1990, competing in the Professional Division right away. They started in 1984 and were Rising Star American Smooth Champions by 1985. Then, they became 3-time United States American Smooth Champions from 1988 to 1990.
Rosendo shares the most interesting thing about competing Professionally was:
The couple had coaching all the time, but Rosendo says that it was never enough.
Rosendo's coaches included Vernon Brock, Linda Dean, and Rufus Dustin. These were his choreographer-type coaches. He also trained with Kerry Wilson, Joe Lozano and Jan Mattingly, and Alan Cleary. Then he went to England and worked with Jenny and Marion Welsh as well as Karen and Marcus Hilton. This was back when it was kind of unheard of for an American couple to go to England to get coaching, but that is where the couple got a lot of their influence, working with those Standard and Latin instructors. They also worked with Bobby Medeiros, Shirley Ballas, and Enrique Ramon.
Rosendo was also coaching all the way throughout his competitive dance career.
Career after DanceRosendo holds his Fellowship Degree in American Smooth, American Rhythm, International Style Standard, International Style Latin as well as in Theater Arts. He travels extensively throughout the United States lecturing, coaching and adjudicating.
Rosendo Fumero is also the organizer of the Virginia State DanceSport Championships held annually in Reston, Virginia in July.
- 3-time United States American Smooth Champion (1988 - 1990)
- United States National 9-Dance American Style Champion
- Undefeated Ohio Star Ball Champion
- Rising Star American Smooth Champion (1985)
- Triple Crown Champion
- Peggy Heeney
- Terry Worral (1984 - 1990)
- Vernon Brock
- Linda Dean
- Rufus Dustin
- Kerry Wilson
- Joe Lozano
- Jan Mattingly
- Alan Cleary
- Kenny Welsh
- Marion Welsh
- Karen Hilton
- Marcus Hilton
- Bobby Medeiros
- Shirley Ballas
- Enrique Ramon
- Professional Competitor
- Certified - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- Certified Dance Instructor
- Fellow Degree - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- Championship Licensed Adjudicator and National Judge for the National Dance Council of America specializing in:
- International Style Standard (Championship Certified) - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- International Style Latin (Championship Certified) - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- American Smooth (Championship Certified) - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- American Rhythm (Championship Certified) - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- Theatrical Style (Championship Certified) - Terpsichore Teachers of Dancing
- Performing Arts
- Certified - North American DanceSport Teachers Association (NADTA)
- Certified - National Dance Council of America
- World Dance Council Adjudicator
- Music Director
- Virginia State DanceSport Championships, Co-Organizer
- 2nd Vice President of the North American DanceSport Teachers Association (NADTA)