See also: Categories: Instructors, Adjudicators, Dancers, Latin
- World Class Adjudicator
OverviewSusan Silvais a native New Yorker, started dancing at the age of three. She had a dream to dance from this early age. Her family did not have the funds for lessons, but she was able to get scholarships, and studied ballet, modern, and jazz. She became a professional dancer, and later became a Ballroom Champion. During her career she had an encounter with God, which changed the course of her life. Her passion to dance has never left her, even when she was ill and in a wheel chair in 2003. She believed to dance again, and she did in 2007. Today Susan is an Adjudicator with NDCA and USA Dance, besides coaching professionals, amateurs, and pro-am couples. She has written a Theatrical Syllabus that can be used in all styles of Ballroom Dancing. Her desire is to pass her legacy and knowledge on to this generation of dancers, and for them to never lose hope.
“All things are possible to those who believe.”
Susan started ballroom dancing as a student in New York City at Fred Astaire"s in the late 1970’s. There she met her ballroom partner David Van Hamilton. Susan trained in all styles of Ballroom Dance, Standard, Latin, American Smooth, American Rhythm, and Theatrical. The partnership of Susan Silva and David Van Hamilton were top ranked renowned Professional Ballroom Dance Champions and Performers in the United States for over 10 years. They competed in all styles of Ballroom Dance and were finalists in the United States and Canada.
Author – Theatrical Ballroom SyllabusDeveloped and wrote a Theatrical Ballroom Syllabus Manual. This syllabus can be used to enhance every style of ballroom dance today. She also did a Theatrical Ballroom Teaching Video for Arthur Murray Intl. Susan directed, scripted, edited and performed in the video. Devised a marketing concept from this syllabus to be taught individuals and in Ballroom Group Classes, levels from beginners to advanced students.
Ballroom Dance ConsultantBallroom Dance Consultant for many Independent Ballroom Dance Schools, Arthur Murray Schools, and Fred Astaire Schools throughout the U.S.A. Supervised and trained teachers in Ballroom Dance Technique and Marketing. Held Master Classes, Seminars, and Workshops.
Broadway & Television PerformerAt the age of eighteen, as part of the Discotheque Dancers, Susan performed at Shea Stadium, NYC, in the opening act at the Beatles Concert, and then toured with the Beatles throughout the United States. Broadway and Off-Broadway Shows: Redhead, Guys & Dolls, Carousel, Soupy Sales Show, King Solomon. Touring Companies: New Dance Group, Tony Martin Show. Nightclubs: Robert Goulet Show, Latin Casino, N.J., Marvin Gaye Show, N.J., Harlows, NY. Television: Hullabaloo, Nitelife
Choreographer & Coach & TeacherChoreographed and Staged Full Length Musicals, Shows, Films, Formation Teams, and Showcases throughout the U.S.A. Choreographed for many Ballroom Dance Teams, including her own Dance Act with partner David Hamilton, and for Showcases/Medal Balls. Ballroom Dance Teacher in all styles of Ballroom Dance: American Smooth, American Rhythm, Standard, Latin, Theatrical, and Exhibition for Fred Astaire, Arthur Murray, and Independent Dance Studios. Competed in Pro-am events. Susan developed the Creative Arts Ministry working with children, adults, in liturgical dance. She has directed full-scale church musicals, and videos.
Susan is a bible school graduate and an ordained minister. She is trained and certified in counseling people and helps dancers to achieve their goals. Susan has a column called Dance Life Coaching, and writes for "Dance Beat Magazine", one of the largest Ballroom newspapers.
- Metropolitan Opera Ballet School -N.Y.C.
- New Dance Group – in the company- N.Y.C.
- Studied Modern, Jazz and Ballet from many famous teachers in N.Y.C.
- Fred Astaire Ballroom Dance Studio-N.Y.C.
- Arthur Murray Intl. -Miami, on the National Dance Board
- Studied all forms of Ballroom and Adagio from many world-famous coaches.
EducationHigh School of Performing Arts -N.Y.C., George Washington High School-Graduate, City College of New York City, Fashion Institute of Technology, Heart To Heart International Bible School-Graduate, Ordained Minister, New York City Fashion Industry Management Consultant, Director of a Barbizon Fashion Merchandising School, Queens, NY, Cosmetic Consultant and Retail Manager for many cosmetic companies, NYC & CT.
Susan Silva is married to Rev. Gerald Nikirk. Together they founded: Nikirk Ministries International, Vine Training & Worship Center, Voice In New England Television Broadcast, Watchman School of Prayer, Short Wave Radio into China, and Dancing With God TV. Susan has co-hosted and co-produced their radio and television shows and has been an international conference speaker. Susan has an adopted daughter Autumn from China, who is also pursuing dance.
- United States National Champions in American Style, Theatrical and Exhibition.
- Blackpool Invitational Exhibition Bronze Medalists.
- Several television appearances, including “A Night of Championship Dancing” with Juliet Prowse.
- Lectured and held master classes in many major dance conventions & studios.
- Certified National Adjudicator with NDCA and USA Dance A+B+C+D+E+ in all styles:
- International Style Standard
- International Style Latin
- American Smooth
- American Rhythm
- Theatrical, Exhibition and Performing Arts
- Certification – Degrees and Membership:
- Arthur Murray International Dual Fellow All Styles
- NADTA Certified Licentiate Degree All Styles
- NDTA Vice President
- Board of Education, Schools of N.Y.C. Substitute Teachers License in Dance
- Former Member of Professional Dancers Federation
- Former Member of Equity, AGVA, AFTRA
- Broadway, Television, and Film Performer
- Toured with the Beatles in the opening dance act in 1965
- Author of a Theatrical Ballroom Syllabus
- Coach, Choreographer, Dance Consultant
- World Class Adjudicator