In 1992, Karina, age 14, emigrated to the United States and soon after, obtained her American citizenship. She attended several schools including Nerinx Hall High School in St. Louis and Christopher Columbus High School in the Bronx. Her education transferred to the Bronx High School of Science where she graduated. Karina attended Fordham University from which she graduated with a double major in economics and information system programming.
Karina wanted to continue her education in order to receive a degree in Law. However, at this point in time, she began attending a dance school in Brooklyn, after which she decided to once again begin Ballroom dancing instead of seeking a career of becoming a lawyer. Karina resumed dance training and soon took part in reality TV shows including "Chelsea Lately" and Dancing with the Stars. This hobby became her meaning of life.Roman Nabatov. Together, they represented the United States and made their debut in September 1996 at the United States DanceSport Championships. They were in the top 22 of Amateur Latin couples. Together, they danced for a year, and in November of 1997, decided to go their separate ways. DanceSport competitor. Almost a year passed after her split with Roman that she came to be partnered with Paul Killick, with whom she switched to the Professional Division. They represented England. Their first competition together attained excellent results: 1st place at the British National Dance Championships in November of 1998 in Blackpool.
Karina's partnership with Paul brought her dancing to a new level, but in July of 1999, the couple decided to terminate their collaboration. Almost immediately, Smirnoff paired with Dutch dancer Louis Van Amstel, with whom she represented the United States. On September 7, 1999, the couple made its debut at the U.S. Open in Miami, where they took 3rd place. However, their partnership together only lasted a little over a year.Slavik Kryklyvyy. They began working together in 2001 in the city of New York. Both natives of Ukraine, their creative union represented the United States on the competitive dance floor.
This couple was considered one of the most promising. It was predicted they would produce outstanding achievements in the world of Ballroom dancing. They began to train with renowned teachers including Espen Salberg, Donnie Burns, Hans Galke, Carolyn Smith, Tone Nyhagen, Richard Porter, and Ruud Vermeij.
Among the duo's achievements was their silver place standing at the Blackpool Dance Festival as well as at the World Championships. One of their highest results also includes their victory at the 2005 UK Open, held in Bournemouth, England.
Karina and Slavik also had the ability to work as directors of choreography in the 2004 film Shall We Dance? starring Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez. Aside from being directors of some of the dance scenes, Slavik and Karina had the ability to perform in parts of the movie as well. That same year, Karina released a fitness DVD, Shape Up With Karina Smirnoff.
After nearly 5 years of partnership, in September of 2005, Karina and Slavik split.Dmitry Timokhin with whom she represented Russia. Their strongest performance took place on March 4, 2006 at the Grand-Prix Dynamo in Moscow, Russia, where the couple successfully took first place. The pair also took part in the Blackpool Dance Festival and took 4th place in the overall rankings. However, the partnership did not last long, after which Karina retired from her competitive career.
In large part due to her successful career as a competitive Ballroom dancer, Karina Smirnoff signed a contract to participate in the 3rd season of the show Dancing with the Stars in 2006. She has participated on this show Seasons 3-9, 11-19, and 21-22. Season 13 she won with army veteran and soap opera star, J. R. Martinez. She's also won two runner-up titles, a semifinal title, and several quarterfinal titles.
Having proved herself as a television star, in 2009, Karina got involved in the Broadway production of Burn The Floor. Broadway has always been her dream, she says.
- First female to be a Blackpool Dance Festival Professional Latin Finalist with three different partners
- Grand-Prix Dynamo Professional Latin Champion (2006)
- Professional Latin UK Open Champion (2005)
- Dutch Open Professional Latin Champion (2004)
- Open World Cup Professional Latin Champion (2003) - Embassy Ball DanceSport Championships
- Silver Medalist of the Professional Latin World Championship
- Silver Medalist of the Professional Latin British Open Championship
- 5-time U.S. National Professional Latin Champion (2001 - 2005)
- 3-time Japan International Dancing Championships Professional Latin Champion (2000, 2002, 2005)
- British National Professional Latin Champion (1998)
- 2006 "Day & Night" Dancing Event, Project Manager/Director
- Dancing with the Stars, Professional (Seasons 3-9, 11-19, 21-22)
- Season 13 Champion with army veteran and soap opera star J. R. Martinez
- Winner of two runner-up titles, a semifinal title, and several quarterfinal titles
- Creator of Shape Up With Karina Smirnoff Fitness CD
- Guest starred as Madame Escajeda in an episode of Hannah Montana
- Espen Salberg
- Donnie Burns
- Hans Galke
- Carolyn Smith
- Tone Nyhagen
- Richard Porter
- Ruud Vermeij
- Alexey Litvinov
- Dmitry Timokhin (2005 - 2006)
- Slavik Kryklyvyy (2001 - 2005)
- Louis Van Amstel (1999 - 2000)
- Paul Killick (1998 - 1999)
- Roman Nabatov (1996 - 1997)
Other names used to search: Katrina Smirnoff, karina smirnoff photos, karina smirnoff images, karina smirnoff pics, smirnoff karina, carina smirnoff, karina.smirnoff, karinna smirnoff, "karina smirnoff", katarina smirnoff, slavik karina, karina smirnoff wiki, slavik kryklyvyy and karina smirnoff, karina smirnoff pictures, karina_smirnoff, karina-smirnoff, kirina smirnoff, smirnoff dancer, karinasmirnoff, karina smirnoff slavik, karina smirnoff and slavik, karina smirnoff slavik kryklyvyy, karina dance, karina dancer, slavik and karina, карина смирнофф, карина смирнофф фото