See also: Categories: Instructors, Adjudicators, Dancers
Originally from: Samoa
Current location: Columbus, Ohio
- Competition Organizer
- Studio Dance Director
- Health and Fitness Instructor
OverviewTony Meredith began to dance as a toddler while growing up in Samoa, surrounded by the sounds of drums, guitars, and ukuleles. He credits American Bandstand and Soul Train for helping him to hone his skills and to keep up with the latest moves.
He discovered Ballroom Dancing after replying to a newspaper advertisement seeking dance teachers. His cousin taught him how to Hustle in the garage which ignited his love of dancing.
In San Diego, California, in the year 1981, Tony met Melanie LaPatin. The two subsequently formed a Professional partnership which has lasted over 30 years, traveling the world representing the United States 12 times in the Professional World Latin-American Dance Championships. They eventually moved to New York to train and open a studio, (Dance Times Square).
Tony and Melanie married in 1989, but divorced amicably following the opening of their studio. With Melanie, Tony captured over 100 first place trophies and in 1995, won the Professional Latin Division of the U.S. DanceSport Championships. The couple retired from competitive dance in 1998. After retiring from the competitive dance floor, Tony and Melanie continued to choreograph for film, television, Broadway, and a new generation of competitive dancers as well as celebrities such as Pierce Brosnan, Renee Russo, Vanessa L. Williams, Tim Robbins, Cameron Diaz, Megan Mullaley, Matthew Morrison, Susan Sarandon, Jessica Biel, Lisa Lampanelli, Steven Dorff, Patrick Stewart, Leslie Caron, Jennifer Beals, Campbell Scott, Rob Schneider, Barbara Walters, and more.
Tony Meredith currently serves as the dance director, instructor, and choreographer at Danceville, USA, a Ballroom Dance studio in Columbus, Ohio. He is also the co-organizer of the Chicago Crystal Ball, Aloha Ball, and has just recently founded ICON DanceSport, his own competition held the 2nd week of October in Columbus, Ohio which made its debut in October of 2015.
Currently, Tony serves as a Ballroom Dance competition adjudicator, coach, and choreographer and possesses a wide range of versatility: from Cha Cha Cha to Swing, Tango to Hustle, Mambo and Salsa to American Rhythm, Blues, etc.
TV and FilmTony Meredith has been behind the scenes as appearing in films, TV shows and Broadway, including feature film performances in Dance with Me, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, Take the Lead, The Thomas Crown Affair, Let It Be Me, The Last Days of Disco, Dancing with the Stars, Ballroom Dancing Basics, and Full Frontal Fashion. He has also co-hosted seasons 1 and 2 of the PBS series America's Ballroom Challenge with Marilu Henner.
Tony and Meredith have appeared fairly regularly as guest choreographers on the Fox dance competition reality show So You Think You Can Dance. Tony also finished filming Season 5 of the PBS series America's Ballroom Challenge with Mary Murphy.
- United States Professional Latin Champion
- Represented the United States 12 times in the Professional World Latin-American Dance Championships
- Over 100 first place trophies
- North American Latin Champion
- American World Swing and Cabaret Champion
- Latin World Cup Champion
- DanceSport World Cup Champion
- Latin World Trophy Champion
- First place in the "Dirty Dancing Championships"
- 3-Time Winner of the Championship Ballroom Dancing competition sponsored by PBS
- Choreographed for competitive dancers and celebrities including:
- Pierce Brosnan
- Renee Russo
- Vanessa L. Williams
- Tim Robbins
- Cameron Diaz
- Megan Mullaley
- Matthew Morrison
- Susan Sarandon
- Jessica Biel
- Lisa Lampanelli
- Steven Dorff
- Patrick Stewart
- Leslie Caron
- Jennifer Beals
- Campbell Scott
- Rob Schneider
- Barbara Walters
Film & TV
- Co-hosted seasons 1 and 2 of the PBS series "America's Ballroom Challenge"
- Filmed Season 5 of "America's Ballroom Challenge"
- Appeared regularly as a guest choreographer on "So You Think You Can Dance"*
- Worked behind the scenes and appeared in films, TV shows and Broadway, including feature film performances in:
- Dance with Me (Assistant Choreographer)
- Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (Featured Performer)
- Shall We Dance (Featured Performer)
- The Thomas Crown Affair (Assistant Choreographer/Performer)
- Let It Be Me (Assistant Choreographer)
- The Last Days of Disco (Featured Performer)
- Dancing with the Stars (Featured Choreographer)
- Ballroom Dancing Basics (Co-Host/Choreographer)
- Full Frontal Fashion (Featured Guest/Segment)
- Take the Lead
- Featured as a choreographer and/or dancer in such theater productions as:
- A Night in Harlem (Featured Performer)
- Gloria Estefan's "Mi Tierra" (Featured Performer)
- Gracie Allen Awards (Choreographer)
- Ballroom Fever (Featured Performer/Choreographer)
- Swing (Guest Coach)
- Dirty Dancing: The Baby and Johnny Project (Assistant Choreographer)
- Rock and Soul (Choreographer/Director/Producer)
- Hot for Manhattan (Choreographer/Director/Producer)
- Ballroom Unleashed (Choreographer/Director/Producer)
- Featured performer on PBS' "Live from the Imperial Palace" in Vienna, Austria
- Choreographed 3 segments with Barbara Walters on ABC's "The View"
- Featured performer on PBS' "Championship Ballroom Dancing" for 13 years
- Featured segment on The Learning Channel's "The Secret Life of Ballroom Dancing"
- Featured segment on News 12 Long Island by Andrea Mineo
- Featured guest on "The Montel Williams Show", "Live with Regis and Kelly", "The Morning Show", "Late Night with Conan O'Brian" and more
- Featured performer in 1998 Daytime Emmy Awards
- Has performed as Madison Square Garden, Tokyo Dome, Royal Albert Hall, and more
- Melanie LaPatin (1981-1998)
- Possesses a wide range of versatility in Dance and Dance Instruction: from Cha Cha Cha to Swing, Tango to Hustle, Mambo and Salsa to American Rhythm, Blues, etc.
- Royal Caribbean Productions, Choreographer
- Danceville, USA, Dance Director, Instructor, Choreographer
- Chicago Crystal Ball, Co-Organizer
- Aloha Ball, Co-Organizer
- Health and Fitness Coach