See also: Categories: Instructors, Adjudicators, Dancers, DanceSport
Originally from: Brooklyn, New York (USA)
Current location: New York, NY (USA)
- Artistic Director
OverviewMelanie LaPatin, originally from New York, formed a professional partnership with Tony Meredith in 1981, traveling the world representing the United States 12 times in the Professional World Latin-American Dance Championships. In 2001, they opened a dance studio in Times Square.
Melanie and her partner Tony have taken home over 100 championship titles, including but not limited to becoming the United States Professional Latin Champions, the Dirty Dancing Champions, the 1999 DanceSport World Cup Champions, 4-time Champions of the North American Latin Championships, the World Trophy Title Holders, the American-Swing World Cabaret Dance Champions, 3-time Champions of the "Championship Ballroom Dancing" (Sponsor, PBS), and the Copacabana Mambo Marathon Finalists.
Known on the dance floor as “America’s best loved couple” and recognized for their passion, dedication, artistry, knowledge and originality, this couple's versatility and experience placed them in an elite category of their own, in a professional partnership which had lasted over 30 years.
Coach and ChoreographerLaPatin is in high demand as a coach of top dancers around the world and as a choreographer for actors in film, television and Broadway.
She has choreographed and appeared on film in such major motion pictures as Dance with Me, The Thomas Crown Affair, Let It Be Me, The Last Days of Disco, What To Expect When You’re Expecting, Angriest Man In Brooklyn, and Leading Ladies.
She has also appeared for 10 seasons as a choreographer on FOX’s So You Think You Can Dance and So You Think You Can Dance Canada.
As a dance coach and choreographer, she has worked with some of the most renowned film and television personalities including Pierce Brosnan, Renee Russo, Robin Williams, Melissa Leo, Vanessa Williams, Tim Robbins, Mary Steenburgen, Sonya Brava, Susan Sarandon, Steven Dorff, Patrick Stewart, Leslie Caron, Jennifer Beals, Harvey Keitel, Campbell Scott, Rob Schneider, Cameron Diaz, Matthew Morrison, Megan Mullally, Russell Crow, Emma Watson and Barbara Walters.
In 2008, she choreographed a photo shoot for Harper’s Bazaar called “Dancing with the Designers” that featured Jessica Biel and high-end designers Vera Wang, Oscar de la Renta, Diane Von Furstenberg, Calvin Klein and Zac Posen.
- Represented the United States 12 times in the Professional World Latin-American Dance Championships
- United States Professional Latin Champion
- First place in the "Dirty Dancing Championships"
- 1999 DanceSport World Cup Champion
- 4-time Champion of the North American Latin Championships
- The World Trophy Title Holder
- American-Swing World Cabaret Dance Champion
- 3-time Champion of the "Championship Ballroom Dancing"
- Copacabana Mambo Marathon Finalist
- Choreographed “Dancing with the Designers”, a photo shoot for Harper’s Bazaar that featured Jessica Biel and high-end designers Vera Wang, Oscar de la Renta, Diane Von Furstenberg, Calvin Klein and Zac Posen
Film & TV
- Appeared for 10 seasons as a featured performer and choreographer on FOX’s So You Think You Can Dance and So You Think You Can Dance Canada
- Choreographed and appeared on film in such major motion pictures as:
- Dance with Me (Assistant Choreographer)
- The Thomas Crown Affair (Assistant Choreographer/Performer)
- Let It Be Me (Assistant Choreographer)
- The Last Days of Disco (Featured Performer)
- What To Expect When You’re Expecting (Associate Choreographer)
- Angriest Man In Brooklyn
- Leading Ladies (Leading Role/Choreographer)
- Dancing with the Stars (Featured Choreographer)
- Ballroom Dancing Basics (Co-Host/Choreographer)
- Full Frontal Fashion (Featured Guest/Segment)
- Worked with and choreographed for some of the most renowned film and television personalities including:
- Pierce Brosnan
- Renee Russo
- Robin Williams
- Melissa Leo
- Vanessa L. Williams
- Tim Robbins
- Mary Steenburgen
- Sonya Brava
- Susan Sarandon
- Steven Dorff
- Patrick Stewart
- Leslie Caron
- Jennifer Beals
- Harvey Keitel
- Campbell Scott
- Rob Schneider
- Cameron Diaz
- Matthew Morrison
- Megan Mullally
- Russell Crow
- Emma Watson
- Barbara Walters
- Jessica Biel
- Lisa Lampanelli
- Featured as a choreographer and/or dancer in such theater productions as:
- A Night in Harlem (Featured Performer)
- Gloria Estefan's "Mi Tierra" (Featured Performer)
- Gracie Allen Awards (Choreographer)
- Ballroom Fever (Featured Performer/Choreographer)
- Swing (Guest Coach)
- Dirty Dancing: The Baby and Johnny Project (Assistant Choreographer)
- Rock and Soul (Choreographer/Director/Producer)
- Hot for Manhattan (Choreographer/Director/Producer)
- Ballroom Unleashed (Choreographer/Director/Producer)
- Featured performer on PBS' "Live from the Imperial Palace" in Vienna, Austria
- Choreographed 3 segments with Barbara Walters on ABC's "The View"
- Featured performer on PBS' "Championship Ballroom Dancing" for 13 years
- Featured segment on The Learning Channel's "The Secret Life of Ballroom Dancing"
- Featured segment on News 12 Long Island by Andrea Mineo
- Featured guest on "The Montel Williams Show", "Live with Regis and Kelly", "The Morning Show", "Late Night with Conan O'Brian" and more
- Featured performer in 1998 Daytime Emmy Awards
- Has performed as Madison Square Garden, Tokyo Dome, Royal Albert Hall, and more
- Tony Meredith (1981-1998)
- Highly demanded choreographer for DanceSport competitors and world-renown celebrities
- Artistic Director
- Vice chair of Screen Actors Guild Dancers Committee