In former years Dirk Heidemann won the national youth championships several times and was runner-up to the German Latin-American Championships. At the age of 17, he switched to professional dancing, and in 1993 he reached the World Championship Final in the Freestyle World Cup in Latin-American dancing.
He is trainer of several world champion pairs, and as trainer of the official "German Dancesport Federation" (DTV) trainer team, he trained Christoph Kies and Blanca Ribas Turón to become World Champions in the category of 10-dance (Standard and Latin) three times.
Since 1999 he has had a leading position in the Chinese "Danceworld". He was one of the most popular choreographers and art directors for the Presentation-Shows of China during the 2008 Olympic Games. His dancesport-musical The Red Skirt with members of the Beijing Dance Academy was a big success in 2001 and was copied several times. Dirk Heidemann has appeared in more than ten talk and news shows on China Central Television (CCTV).
Among the dancing scene, He is regarded as a style-icon and a fashion model with a particularly creative mind. He has authored articles on dancing contests, works as the German National Youth trainer in Latin American Dancing and is Professor for competitive dancing at the Sports University of Zheng Zhou, China.
The World DanceSport Federation (WDSF) commissioned Dirk Heidemann in March 2013, the choreography of a flash mob for the World DanceSport Games 2013 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan to create. Dirk Heidemann chose the song "Stamp Your Feet" of the then recently deceased singer Donna Summer. In April 2013, a video in Sant Cugat, Spain was shot. Dirk Heidemann is there to see themselves as dancers. The flash mob was presented at the opening event with great success. At the final event around 6,500 athletes, "Stamp Your Feet" danced before live TV cameras. "Stamp your Feet" is now regarded as one of the largest flash mobs in the world.
On 09.11.2014 Dirk Heidemann presented his first TV comedy -Show "Germany's Most embarrassing dancers" on RTL Germany.
In 2015,Dirk Heidemann, led the Russian Champions Armen Tsaturyan and Svetlana Gudyno to win The WDSF European Championship and to become the vice-world champions in the WDSF Wolrd Championship Latin. In addition, the Israeli couple Artyom Liaskovsky and Liana Odikadze, trained by him, became World Champion in Latin dances in the category "Under21". It is the first world title for Israel in dancesport since the existence of the country.
- German National International Style Latin Youth Champion
- In 1993 he reached the World Championship Final in the Freestyle World Cup in Latin-American dancing
- Member of World DanceSport Federation
- * Trained students that have become:
- Three times WDSF World 10 Dance Champions
- WDSF European Championship latin Champions
- Vice- World Champions in the WDSF Wolrd Championship Latin
- WDSF World Champion in Latin in the category "Under21"
- One of the most popular choreographers and art directors for the Presentation-Shows of China during the 2008 Olympic Games
- Has appeared in more than ten talk and news shows on China Central Television (CCTV)
- Choreographer in two German casting-shows (You Can Dance
- Adjudicator of the TV Show "DANCING STARS"
- Choreographer of a flash mob for the World DanceSport Games 2013 in Kaohsiung