WDSF World DanceSport Games
See also: Categories: Events, DanceSport, Competitions, WDSF
World DanceSport Federation (WDSF)
First Held: September 16 - 20, 2013
First Location: Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei
OverviewBorn out of the WDSF Vision of an all-encompassing DanceSport, the WDSF World DanceSport Games brought together the international elites of all levels to their competition program. The WDSF World DanceSport Games are not to be confused with the World Games in which DanceSport is a participating sport.
The WDSF World DanceSport Games promote the particular values of dance as sport through contests at the highest international level as well as through participatory programs for the general public.
The WDSF World DanceSport Games bring out common traits between various styles of dance falling under the label "DanceSport". To achieve this, the contests are staged concurrently and joint galas are performed.
The WDSF World DanceSport Games are staged over a period of maximum seven days in a single host city. Approximately 700 athletes and 100 officials participate in the inaugural edition.
The first WDSF World DanceSport Games were held in Kaohsiung, TPE, from the 16th to the 20th of September 2013.
Subsequent editions are to be held at biennial or quadrennial intervals.
Quick FactsThe World DanceSport Games were designed to put the athletes center stage, for spectators to take in visual feats over five consecutive days, and for volunteers to get up close with the best dancers from around the world.
But in the final mix of things, the first World DanceSport Games held in 2013 did much more than just break records.
- 732 athletes represented 49 countries in the contests staged over five days to determine the champions in 14 disciplines falling under the the diverse brand of DanceSport.
- 96 judges evaluated the performances on the floor of the K-Arena.
- 128 coaches and other officials looked after the participating athletes.
- 800 volunteers catered to their every whim, treating them like royalty.
- 600 rooms at four different hotels were used to accommodate the 2013 World DanceSport Games participants.
- 5,000 meals were dispensed over the five days.
- Ten buses were used to transport the participants between the venue and their hotels with a non-stop shuttle service.
- The Kaohsiung City Government assigned a staff of 900 to the organization and the delivery of the 2013 World DanceSport Games.
- 264 people were accredited as media personnel.